Heathland Group were contacted by a domestic client in Blandford, Dorset who owned a private pond, fed by a stream. The pond was experiencing an increased growth of aquatic and blanket weed, clogging up the pond and causing –
- The water surface and water column to be covered in dense mats of hair-like green growth.
- A ‘pea soup’ effect caused by fine algae suspended in the water column, discolouring the water.
Blanketweed, silkweed and other aquatic weeds thrive when ponds are in a sunny position, with few plants to provide shade across the surface.
High levels of nutrients in ponds and lakes also encourage algal blooms and excessive aquatic weed growth. Nutrient levels increase when –
- There is a build-up of organic matter on the pond bed.
- Fertilisers are leaching into the pond or lake.
- Pond debris e,g fish faeces, fallen leaves and invasive pond weeds.
Click to find out more information on the Shallow pond aerator installation in Blandford Dorset or our Shallow Pond Aerators.